At Skinners’ Kent Primary School we aim to develop a love for music across a wide range of genres, to inspire exploration and composition in order to enable an eventual skill of critical engagement. We aim to develop strong listening skills which can be then used across the wider curriculum and through their music learning, we aim to increase the child’s self-confidence, ability to work cooperatively as part of a team and to give them a sense of achievement.
In the EYFS we aim for our pupils to:
- sing songs, make music and dance, and experiment with ways of changing them.
- represent their own ideas, thoughts and feelings through design and technology, art, music, dance, role play and stories.
In KS1 we aim for our pupils to:
- use their voices expressively and creatively by singing songs and speaking chants and rhymes
- play tuned and untuned instruments musically
- listen with concentration and understanding to a range of high-quality live and recorded music
- experiment with, create, select and combine sounds using the inter-related dimensions of music.
In KS2 we aim for our pupils to:
- play and perform in solo and ensemble contexts, using their voices and playing musical instruments with increasing accuracy, fluency, control and expression
- improvise and compose music for a range of purposes using the inter-related dimensions of music
- listen with attention to detail and recall sounds with increasing aural memory
- use and understand staff and other musical notations
- appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians
- develop an understanding of the history of music.
What our children say about Music:
- I love learning new songs, our lessons give us the confidence to perform in front of the whole school. (Year 3)
- It is so much fun using the different instruments, we experiment with loads of different sounds and use them to sing songs (Year 2)
- l love it when we try out different instruments and talk about what we hear (Year 1)